Saturday, December 17, 2022

Good Eats at the TEOTWAWKI Café--Jam Smoothies

Smoothies are fabulous, quick breakfast fare.  And those made with fresh fruit are the absolute best.  But here in deep winter and with high inflation and incredibly expensive fresh fruit in the stores, we’re a little more limited in our ingredient options.

I don’t want to forgo my breakfast smoothies—yogurt offers so much nutritionally with those probiotics.  And the other ingredients have loads to offer as well—oats provide fiber and nutrients, spinach and goosefoot are loaded with vitamins and minerals, and then the fruit. 

One thing that we’ve always stored to excess is jam.  Most every year for at least 30 years, I have made way too much jam.  Jams of every flavor—strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, apricot, peach, nectarine—I’m sure I’m missing some.  Pineapple.  This year I even made Almost Raspberry Jam with green tomatoes and raspberry Jell-O. 

Someday, the family will really appreciate it, right?  Maybe not.  You never really appreciate what you have to excess.

Anyway, a few years back it occurred to me that I could replace the fruit and sugar that I normally add to smoothies with jam. 

You know what?  It works pretty perfectly.  Yeah, you’re missing that fresh fruit flavor, but a lot of us are missing fresh berries in the middle of winter anyway, especially now.  These jam smoothies are made from entirely shelf-stable food storage—

  • Yogurt, which you made from powdered milk and shelf-stable yogurt starter
  • Dehydrated bananas
  • Oats
  • Powdered milk
  • Jam

Here are a few recipes to get your own creative juices flowing for working with what you have on hand.

Almost Raspberry Jam Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
½ cup dehydrated bananas
½ cup Almost Raspberry Jam
½ cup milk
4-6 ice cubes
 
Blackberry Jam Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
¾ cup dehydrated bananas
½ cup blackberry jam
½ cup milk
¼ cup oats
4-6 ice cubes
 
Blueberry Jam Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
¾ cup dehydrated bananas
½ cup blueberry jam
½ cup milk
¼ cup oats
4-6 ice cubes
 
 
Pina Colada Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
½ cup dehydrated bananas
½ cup pineapple jam
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
4-6 ice cubes
 
Strawberry Jam Smoothie
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup dehydrated bananas
½ cup strawberry jam
½ cup milk
4-6 ice cubes
 
Links to related posts:
Apple Smoothies

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat