Saturday, August 6, 2022

Homemade Pancake Mixes

For about the past two months, I’ve been enjoying—maybe I should say appreciating—SouthernPrepper1’s daily Boots on the Ground reports in which he compiles email reports from viewers around the world (but mostly in the US) on what they are personally seeing and hearing in regards to our economy and imminent collapse.  Dave does a good job and seems genuinely concerned about helping others prepare for the interesting times ahead. 

Of course, one of the predominant themes in these communications is the skyrocketing inflation, especially regarding food.  People are shocked at how much their fast food costs.  They’re eating out less and packing lunches more.  With shortages with packaging and shipping, increasing numbers of people are eating more at home.  Those more comfortable in the kitchen are mixing up pancake batter like pros. 

Others, like my husband, still prefer the ease of a commercial mix.  He absolutely loves Sam’s pancake mix; I loathe it.  He likes to quickly whip up a hot breakfast when the kids are around, without having to measure out a dozen ingredients.  I prefer feeding my family food with ingredients that can easily be pronounced.  And I really don’t like a lot of mixes, commercial or homemade, cluttering up my pantry.  But you know, he and the kids are so much happier having a mix to make their pancakes. 

I checked out a few recipes to try.  White, wheat, just add water, etc.  I personally love using whole wheat flour and only having to add water and/or oil.  But I understand not wanting to use powdered milk or eggs in the mix due to allergies, so I’ve written the pancake mix recipes to accommodate a variety of needs. 

Pancake Mix

5 cups all-purpose flour

1 ¼ cups powdered milk

¼ cup baking powder

¼ cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon salt

Combine the above ingredients in a large bowl and stir thoroughly.  Store in an airtight container and use within six months.

To make pancakes: 

2 cups pancake mix

1 cup water

1 egg

2 tablespoons oil (or use 3 tablespoons for waffles)

In a medium bowl, beat until smooth with a wire whisk or fork.  Cook on a lightly greased griddle over medium heat.  Yields eight 4” pancakes.

Just-Add-Water Pancake Mix

5 cups all-purpose flour

1 ¼ cups powdered milk

6 tablespoons powdered eggs

¼ cup baking powder

¼ cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon salt

6 tablespoons coconut oil

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.  Cut in coconut oil until well blended.  Store in an airtight container and use within six months.

To make pancakes:

2 ¼ cups pancake mix

1 ¼ cups water

In a medium bowl, beat until smooth with a wire whisk or fork.  Cook on a lightly greased griddle over medium heat.  Yields eight 4” pancakes.

To make waffles, add 1 tablespoon cooking oil to batter.

For whole wheat pancakes, substitute 1-2 cups of wheat flour for the all-purpose flour.  It may be necessary to add a little extra water to achieve the right consistency in the batter.  Mixes with whole wheat flour are best used within two months.

Family reviews:  Even though they are plain, they are perfect for adding fruit if desired.  We used bananas this morning.  The girls loved them.  Way better than Dad’s store-bought mixes. 

Links to related posts:

Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes  

Yogurt Banana Pancakes

Homemade Biscuit Mix 

3 comments:

  1. How do I find SouthernPrepper1? Is it the you tube page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I should have provided that info. Yes, it's SouthernPrepper1 on YouTube.

      Delete

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat