That’s been the gist of several articles recently published on a wide array of blogs, some that I check frequently, and others that are new to me. I’ve never seen so many appear so close to one another in time and to be speaking with the same degree of absolute urgency.
Truth be told, I thought our time was just about up over a decade ago. I would have said it was too late to prepare. And yet, here we are. So maybe our time isn’t up just yet. Maybe there are several more weeks or months or years.
Regular readers here acknowledge that I don’t present a lot in the way of beginner or low-level information on preparing for the challenges staring us down. There are an awful lot of newbie checklists out there. The world probably doesn’t need another one. And yet, I have to admit, I often have a viewpoint that differs substantially from the conventional wisdom. I never had any plans to post something like a “TEOTWAWKI’s almost here” list—go buy all this stuff right now to prepare. I think those lists are popular with bloggers because many are Amazon affiliates looking to cash in a bit.
However, as I was preparing a blog article on radiation last week, I re-read a few articles at Shane Connor’s GoodNewsNuke.com. And one of them was specifically written to the 99% of people who don’t prepare and then run around like crazy when there’s a crisis. He wrote to help them out, knowing that even a little preparation at the last minute may spell the difference between life and death. It was written with such compassion for and lack of judgment against those who just realized they needed to act. And it got me to thinking, what would I list as the most important items for someone who suddenly decided to panic (because we can’t rightfully call it preparing) at literally the last minute?
Two years ago I posted a list of items that were the first things to disappear during the COVID shutdowns. Interestingly, the ubiquitous “First Items to Disappear” in a crisis lists online didn’t have much in common with the reality. You can read that article here. So what would I recommend? And why? Actually, I just decided to pretty much scratch the why. They don’t have time.
I realize this list won’t be of much use to regular readers here. But if you’re like the rest of us, you probably know a person or two who will suddenly wake up and realize the time to panic is incredibly short. You might direct them to the following info to get them started.
FOR THE NEWBIES:
You’ve suddenly realized that your world is about to collapse and you’d like to acquire essential items while it’s still possible.
If you’ve got a team and the ability to divide and conquer, split up the duties. Send a couple of people grocery shopping so that you can get what you want without looking like a hoarder. You might just follow each other around the store and just check out through different lanes. Use cash if you don’t want your purchases tracked. Send another person to Home Depot. A third to the feed and ranch (great source for fish antibiotics and medical supplies). A fourth to the pharmacy. And someone at home to print up references before the internet goes down.
FOOD
The amount of food you want depends on how long you are preparing for. All quantities are in pounds and have been rounded up to the nearest pound. This is the amount needed to provide 2000 calories per day—survival-type rations, in other words, just barely enough. You’ll want to supplement with canned foods.
|
|
Salt |
Oils |
Sugars |
Grains |
Dry beans |
Dry milk |
|
2 weeks |
1 |
1 |
3 |
17 |
3 |
1 |
|
1 month |
1 |
2 |
5 |
33 |
5 |
2 |
|
2 months |
2 |
4 |
10 |
66 |
10 |
3 |
|
3 months |
3 |
5 |
15 |
100 |
15 |
4 |
|
6 months |
5 |
10 |
30 |
200 |
30 |
8 |
|
1 year |
10 |
20 |
60 |
400 |
60 |
15 |
Salt, iodized if possible
Cooking oil, coconut if possible—makes a fantastic butter substitute and has some medicinal uses as well
Sugar, again, not just for baking, but also has some medicinal uses—allow an extra pound or two for medicinal purposes
Popcorn—quick and easy to prepare, especially with coconut oil (above)
Flour
Oats, mostly for eating, but also has medicinal uses
Rice
Beans
Milk, this is just for baking, not drinking. If you wish to have enough to drink, buy more.
Egg substitutes—unflavored gelatin, garbanzo bean liquid
Baking powder
Vinegar—some is for regular eating, more for food preservation and a lot for cleaning
Baking soda—not just for cooking, but also for cleaning and has some medical and medicinal uses as well
Yeast, if you bake bread
In addition, stock up on the other non-perishables you normally consume as much as your finances allow.
WATER
Bleach, regular, unscented
Betadine
Coffee filters, to remove contaminants before further treatment
Soda bottles
GARDEN
Seeds—hybrid preferred. The yield will be higher in adverse conditions, and after one year, you’ll be able to find others who have saved open-pollinated seeds. Besides, seed-saving isn’t something learned in just a year when you’re just learning how to garden.
Fertilizer—maybe. You can start using humanure. If you didn’t prep, you’re going to have to. Sorry.
Garden tools
Gloves—garden, leather, nitrile, dishwashing
Large rolls of plastic—lighter weight for protecting soil from fallout, heavier weight for making row covers to get a jump start on growing vegetables.
CLEANING
Rubbing alcohol
Bleach
Soap
Dish detergent
Vinegar
Baking soda
MEDICAL
Vitamins
Benadryl
Pain relievers
Vaseline
“Fish” antibiotics
Bandages and dressings
Duct tape
Rubbing alcohol
Alcohol wipes
Betadine
Caffeine pills (medical uses and withdrawing from coffee)
If time and finances allow, consult the Master Medical Shopping List for additional items it would be wise to have on hand.
Substitutes lists (ex., substitutes for eggs in baking, oil in cooking, butter, milk, etc.)
Recipes
Manuals—Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd Edition, Humanure Handbook, Nuclear War Survival Skills, etc.
Every item listed here and hundreds more are covered in over 1000 posts on this blog. To learn more, type search words into the search bar on the right. Save or print information, or order the books from Amazon.
Links to related posts:
Calories and
recommended food storage amounts
References:
https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2022/03/if-youre-still-not-listening-youre.html
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/selcos-neighborhood/
https://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/2022/03/folks-get-your-canned-tuna-sardines-now
I just wish my kids would pay more attention to world events and prepare. Sadly, most of mine live hundreds and hundreds miles away. They are more worried about where they are going to eat out next instead of learning to cook. Guess I ALWAYS worried/concerned about things and prepped my whole adult life, even raising 7 kids alone (husband died young). We need articles on how to deal with a broken heart knowing or not knowing how they are. Great article.
ReplyDeleteI don't even know where I would begin with this topic--not knowing how they are. We have ham radios to communicate, but if you can't even persuade your family of the importance of storing food, how would you get them into alternative communication options. I can't think of anything beyond prayer and really knowing God.
DeleteSpiritual preps are as important as any other prep. All of were born, live and die to meet with our Maker. Best to be on good terms with Him.
ReplyDeleteNot everybody we love will get through this ongoing disaster unscathed. Indeed, ALL of will suffer in one way or another. Thus, the power of Prayers in our lives.
The population of the US in the 1890's was around 100 million, today due to advances in medicine and massive use of oil in fertilizer and machinery we've grown to 330 million.
Now the basis for all that extra population growth is failing as oil continues to get harder and more expensive to get thus affecting fertilizer for food production. The snowball of consequences continues to GROW until even the Sock Puppet's Handlers had him read from the teleprompter that message of dread about food issues even in America.
BTW that's called getting ahead of the narrative and establishing an alibi for the maddened and hungry EBT crowds who AFTER being given Extra Fiat Money for their cards SILL cannot feed themselves in the manner they've become accustomed to.
I will refrain from saying rude words on your nice site Jennifer, but the Politicians (not the words I was thinking) are setting up anybody and everybody to be the Target of EBT crowd rage. ANYTHING to deflect Blame and keep THEIR Power intact for an extra day.
You need trusted friends, skills, seeds, stored food WELL HIDDEN from Official Visitors as Re-distribution FOR THE PEOPLE occurs.
Having a "normal amount" of stuff in the kitchen AND a Semi-hidden Decoy Pantry of older stock to LOSE *might* with enough hair pulling and wailing make them THINK you've been Fully Robbed of your Hord of foods.
But as they follow Soviet Proticol expect REWARDS to those the Rat out Kulaks and repeat visitors even your local Political Officer appointed to serve THE PEOPLE.
Planting potatoes (and other root crops) in several obscure areas well hidden with marigolds to keep voles and bugs away *Might* be a saving grace for many. Those plus hidden barrels to root cellar them kept many a Ukrainian Family fed during the Holodomor.
Almost 33% of our population is medically dependent and also often food insecure TODAY. Not looking good for them when the ongoing dumpster fire of bad and plain evil decisions of our "Leadership" continues.
Proverbs 28:28 speaks to this.
When the wicked rise to power, people go into hiding; but when the wicked perish, the righteous thrive.
Praying for wisdom
Your posts are so good, Michael. I think you should be the one writing this blog.
DeleteWe've got such a mess coming at us, and I just don't understand how 99% of the people don't see it coming. I'm so glad to be far removed from the cities when the 99% wake up.
I only recently read about (or it only recently registered in my brain) how effective marigolds are at repelling pests. I've refrained from planting many of them in the past because of my husband's allergies, but I think he's just going to have to deal with it in the future. I'm considering planting some squash off site this year and wondering how effective marigolds will be at protecting them.
Jennifer, As Iron Sharpens Iron your blog keeps me sharp. Proverbs 27:17
DeleteAnd I thank you for that. Your skills in organization and research far exceeds mine. I've been on the sharp end of the spear more than most between the military, EMS and the OR. So, I see the world a little differently than most. And I am at peace with that.
Philippians 1:21
I am humbled. And I am trying to become more Christ-like. I mostly fail. But every once in a while I see a small gain. Thank you for your friendship.
Delete