Disclaimer. I am not a licensed health practitioner. This is just
another post on knowledge and understanding you might wish to acquire in
advance of a disaster in case no higher care is available. As long as
our society is functioning, you should leave anything more substantial
than applying a Band-Aid to the professionals. No medication, including
those available over the counter, should be taken without consulting a
physician. Information shared here is for educational and entertainment
purposes only. It is not medical advice nor a substitute for licensed
medical care.
Whenever I think of parsley, it reminds me of going to dinner at Bob's
Big Boy restaurant near our home in Southern California. Of course, as a
kid I never actually ate it. But after learning how nutritious it is, I
guess I should have. Unfortunately, while there are some medicinal and
health uses for the parsley leaves, most of the medicinal value is in
the seeds and the roots.
Parsley has traditionally been used to treat the following conditions:
- urinary tract diseases--UTIs, kidney stones, gout;
- gall stones;
- amenorrhea and dysmenorrhea;
- bone fractures;
- bruises;
- insect bites and stings;
- allergies and hives.
PARSLEY LEAVES
When to harvest: Fresh parsley is harvested as soon as you're ready to start eating it. The leaves are used fresh as seasoning or garnishes, or dried for seasoning to use later. Parsley leaves are best eaten during the first year, because in the second year all the energy goes to stem, flower, and seed development, and the leaves are small and bitter. Parsley leaves may also be frozen or dehydrated for future use.
Fresh eating: One half cup of fresh parsley provides over 500% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin K (which helps the body absorb calcium), and over 50% of the RDA of vitamin C. Parsley inhibits the secretion of histamine, which is beneficial in dealing with environmental allergies and hives.
Poultice: Fresh parsley leaves crushed and applied (repeatedly, if desired) to a bruise helps hasten the disappearance of black-and-blue marks. The crushed leaves have also been used to treat tumors and insect bites and stings.
PARSLEY ROOTS AND SEEDS
When to harvest: The roots and seeds are collected in the second year of growth, in September, after the plant has flowered.
Infusion: Put two teaspoons of the dried leaves or the root, or one teaspoon of the crushed seeds in a cup and add one cup boiling water. Let steep for 10 minutes and then strain. The usual recommendation is up to three cups daily. To treat kidney stones, bladder infections, and edema, make at least two quarts of a strong infusion and drink one-half to one full cup every hour. It is reported that German physicians prescribe an infusion made from the seeds to reduce high blood pressure.
Tincture:
- Dried root: Prepare a tincture of the dried root in a 1:5 weight to volume ratio using 40-60% alcohol. The recommended dosage is 30-60 drops, up to three times per day, and mixed in water to drink.
- Seeds: Prepare a tincture of the seeds in a 1:4 ratio using 40-60% alcohol. The recommended dosage is 15-30 drops, up to three times per day, mixed in water to drink.
- Use this tincture to treat the same conditions as for the infusion above.
Contraindications: Not to be used internally in medicinal quantities by small children or pregnant women. Culinary use is fine for both groups.
Other uses: Large quantities are used to treat foot rot in sheep.
For further reading:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24660617
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10615220 (reduces antioxidants)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19325799 (cancer prevention)
https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/archivos_pdf/apigenin-prevents-cancer-parsley.pdf (cancer prevention)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11849841 (diuretic)
http://articles.herballegacy.com/parsley/ (kidneys, UTIs, kidney stones, gall stones)
Is this different than your July 5 post?
ReplyDeleteNope. Ugh. That is super embarrassing. Sorry. Anyway, the super-hectic life that in February or March I thought would have settled down by now and allowed me to write new articles daily has not done so. In fact, it's gotten a little worse, and for some reason resulted in me re-posting an article on parsley twice this month. I don't know when I will get back to normal writing status, but I hope it is soon. There is a lot more I want to learn and write about before we begin living in interesting times.
DeleteDon't worry about it, Jennifer. I look forward to new articles when you can get to it, but I understand that this season of life may make it difficult for you.
ReplyDeleteGoing over older articles are a nice refresher course! But I am also looking forward to new articles.
ReplyDelete