The advent of texting has brought with it a plethora of new acronyms. DYODD was one of the first ones I learned many years ago. Do Your Own Due Diligence. And it basically means you've got to do your own research, especially as pertaining to what you read online. Just because it's on the internet, doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Shocker.
I recently came across an article online, written by preppers and for
preppers. I'm always interested in what others have to say on prepping
subjects, especially food and medicine. I like to see what kind of
detail they go into, and whether it's actually practical. Most of what
is out there is pretty generic and only skims the surface. People are
copying each other and very few get into the how-to's of any given
topic.
Anyway, this one particular article was supposedly written by a doctor.
He listed the four antibiotics a prepper needed to have and why. So I
went read through his short list, his explanations, scrolling down, and
expecting to see doxycycline pop up sooner or later.
And it wasn't there!
What the heck?!?!
And then another doctor in the comments section for that article
suggests that doxycycline should be added to the list. And a third
doctor replies that doxycycline becomes toxic past its use-by date. He
is apparently totally unaware of changes made in its formulation so that
toxicity is no longer an issue. Even tetracycline, related to
doxycycline, does not break down and become toxic now. Some of these
doctors also appear to be totally unfamiliar with the military's
Shelf-Life Extension Program. One has to wonder about their expertise.
The internet is full of these kinds of examples.
(For what it's worth, doxycycline is the only antibiotic for treating
tick-borne illnesses and typhus. There is not much in the way of
natural treatments for tick-borne illnesses, and so far as I have been
able to determine, there is no alternative for treating typhus. It's
doxycycline or die in that situation. And doxycycline is really cheap.)
As Ronald Reagan said, "Trust but verify." This blog is just a
springboard for you to do your own research. I'm doing the best I can.
I write this for my family--my children and grandchildren (if I ever
get any). I write from the perspective of knowing that history repeats
and that our society will collapse entirely. There will be no stores,
no pharmacies, no manufacturing of essential medications. We'll be
making do without much electricity or gas and probably living in pretty
austere conditions. When writing about herbs and their uses, I focus on what's available in the US, especially the western US. I
will never get around to stuff that grows exclusively in the East. If that's where you live, you'll have to do some homework on your area.
What works for me may not work for you. We're all different. We all
have different challenges. Ultimately, you've got to do your own
research--your own due diligence.
Links to related posts:
Shelf-Life Extension Program
Typhus
Tick-Borne Illnesses
OTC Pain Relievers
Shelf Life Extension Program
Tetracycline at TEOTWAWKI
For further reading:
https://www.askaprepper.com/antibiotics-you-need-shtf/
Thank you, Jennifer. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates your efforts.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteParamedics have to take a practical exam every few years to keep their license. Boiler inspectors have a written exam every few years to stay licensed, and have to do 20hrs a year of professional development(pd)
ReplyDeleteEngineers have to do 20+ grs a year of PD to keep their license.
Doctors have PD as well but no exams or recertification and the PD does not have to be directly related, i read a poll by AMA that courses on medical billing and accounting are the most popular PD claimed after vacations paid for by a drug company. I asked my doctor once what they did for PD once and was told they had done a 4 day yoga retreat seminar on reducing stress....
Nothing forces a doctor to stay current.
Exile1981
DYODD >> never saw that before - but have lived it since engineering college - first thing they beat into you - basically take no one else's word and double ckek even when it comes from On High >> as far as the antibiotics - if there's a disease that's most probable to go pandemic it's typhus - they evaced a hotel full of doctors trapped in NOLA for Katrina - everyone got preventable treated for typhus among the other possible sewer swamp water diseases ;;;;;;;;
ReplyDelete