Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Wound Dressings

One of the problems in stocking supplies for an uncertain future is that we just have absolutely no idea how much we really need.  We have no familiarity with common needs, with what is usual in any given population.  I'm sure that's about as clear as mud, so perhaps an example will help.

If I were to store sterile gauze of any size for future needs based on what I have used on myself in the past 45 years (I'll let my parents cover the first eight years of my life) and what I have used on my children over the past 29 years, I'd store maybe one box of 25 if I were going really over the top.  I've never used any on the kids, and probably went through half a box when I took off the end of my right pinkie seven years ago.  We're generally pretty careful people around here.

My husband, though, is an entirely different matter and uses a whole lot more with minor burns, lacerations, and abrasions.  Historically, he's been a bit more diligent about wound care than I have.

And caring for my daughter's angora rabbit who lost the skin on his foot has shown us how very quickly supplies can be exhausted.  Fortunately, he's small, so the actual expense is minimal, but the frequent dressing changes add up, and they're going to add up a lot more quickly in a person who's 20 times the size of the rabbit.

So what do we want as far as dressing supplies for a family of six when the grid goes down for a year?  (If you are planning for a longer event--and that's not a bad idea--adjust accordingly.)

Band-Aids, regular                                                  300
Band-Aids, 2x4"                                                       50
Triple antibiotic ointment, 1 oz tube                          2
Triple antibiotic ointment, single use packets          20

Gauze, sterile, 2x2"                                                  25
Gauze, sterile, 3x3"                                                  25
Gauze, sterile, 4x4"                                                  25
Gauze rolls, non-sterile, 2"                                        5
Gauze rolls, non-sterile, 3"                                        5
Gauze rolls, non-sterile, 4"                                        5

Telfa, non-stick dressing, 3x4"                                 20

When you go to purchase these supplies, if you're just going to Walmart or CVS, you won't have a lot of decisions to make.  But if you're going with Amazon (not necessarily the best idea) or ShopMedVet (great idea if you're buying a lot) you'll see you have a lot of options.  One is going to be the number of plies in the gauze.  The thicker, the better, and the generally more expensive.   Sterile of course will be more expensive, but that's what you want.  Most are aware that you don't want to buy cheap Band-aids, unless you have small children who need them for invisible boo-boos.  Real Band-Aids have better adhesive. 

You may wish to consider having some rayon gauze.  If, or when, the situation becomes really dicey, rayon gauze can be re-used and would be the gauze to use if you are soaking up blood to re-infuse into a patient.  Rayon gauze is sturdier so it can be wrung out and washed out and autoclaved (sterilized) a few times, whereas the usual cotton gauze will not withstand that kind of abuse.

Telfa non-stick pads are really nice for wounds like burns or anything where you have delicate tissues re-growing and which you do not want to disturb during dressing changes.  

Links to related posts:
Advanced Medical Kit
Bleeding
Lacerations
Abrasions

02.12.19

3 comments:

  1. with all the possible outdoor labor that will WAY above the normal volume and severity >>> you need to prepare for all the hand & finger cuts & injuries ...

    plenty of anticeptics & ointments - bandaids and finger cots >>> with no or limited antibiotics any infection could be a death sentence ...

    prevention is the best remedy >>> you can't have enough work gloves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. Work gloves could turn out to be a good barter item.

      Delete
  2. Butterfly Stitches are also another good item to have on hand. My wife takes a steroid pill for the past 57 years(keeps her alive). As a result her skin is like wet rice paper. She bruises very easily and a simple scratch turns into a bloody mess. Over the years I've gotten very good with butterfly stitches.

    ReplyDelete