Friday, December 25, 2020

Easy Kettle Corn

Merry Christmas!  May your day be filled with good food, fun, and family, as well as a little reflecting on the birth of our Savior and all the blessings that He and our Heavenly Father bestow upon us.  Now back to your family.  This recipe will still be here tomorrow.  I promise. 


My gift to you this year is an easy recipe for kettle corn.  

Back when I first wrote about storing popcorn nearly two years ago, I included a recipe for caramel corn.  I also tried making kettle corn for the first time, in hopes of being able to offer a recipe for that as well.  Every attempt was a colossal failure.  Burned sugar in the pan. 

A month or so ago, in the course of researching something entirely unrelated to popcorn, I stumbled across an oven-baked recipe for kettle corn.  This is darn good stuff. I've made it several times already.  It's very inexpensive and fairly quick to make.  And if you want to dress it up, you can drizzle it with chocolate or dust it with sprinkles.  Crushed peppermints or candy canes a really good topping for it and make a nice presentation. 

Kettle Corn

10 cups popped popcorn 

1/3 cup corn syrup

½ cup sugar

1 tablespoon water

2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling

Coarse salt, to taste

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Spread popcorn on prepared cookie sheet.  Combine corn syrup, 1/2 cup sugar, and water in medium heavy bottomed pan.  Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and immediately drizzle syrup evenly over popcorn.  Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and coarse salt, if desired.  Stir with large spoon to coat popcorn thoroughly and bake at 300°F for 8-10 minutes, stirring halfway through baking.  Remove from oven and spread on  parchment paper to cool.  Cool completely and break apart before serving. 

Links to related posts:

Popcorn

Sugar

Corn syrup

 12.22.23

1 comment: