Sunday, May 18, 2025

Honey-Lemon Sore Throat Lozenges

Disclaimer.  I am not a licensed health practitioner.  This is just another post on an item you might wish to have available if needed so that a physician can treat you and your family as best as possible.  No medication, including those available over the counter, should be taken without consulting a physician.  Information shared here is for educational and entertainment purposes only.  It is not medical advice nor a substitute for licensed medical care.  A qualified, licensed physician or other medical provider should be consulted before beginning any herbal or conventional treatment.
This past year, due to isolation, social distancing, and copious handwashing, we haven't had any colds. It's probably the same for you.  So I guess there is a little upside to this whole pandemic thing.

Anyway, when we do have colds and sore throats, our favorite sore throat lozenges are the Ricola Honey-Lemon.  I buy several bags each year, and several bags disappear, even though I don't think there were that many colds.   I somewhat suspect the kids eat them like candy.  There's no way I can keep a long term supply of them.

So I figured it was time to find a recipe and test it out.  Everyone agreed they taste just fine and that they ought to work to soothe a sore throat.  No one is actually willing to go out and get a cold or sore throat to try them out for real, however.

Honey-Lemon Cough and Sore Throat Lozenges
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar

Combine sugar, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Simmer for 20 minutes, and then remove from heat.  Stir in the honey.  Let cool several minutes.

In the meantime, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper if possible.  Using a fine-mesh strainer, dust the cookie sheet or parchment paper generously with powdered sugar. 

With the syrup now cooled a little and thickened, pour little dots somewhere between the size of a dime and a quarter onto the parchment.  Let cool a little and then dust again with powdered sugar.  The powdered sugar will help prevent sticking.

Store your lozenges in an empty Altoids tin.  Use as often as desired.

Links to related posts:
Differentiating Between a Cold and Influenza (coming soon)
OTC Cold and Cough Medicines
Japanese Honeysuckle





For further reading:
https://www.lorannoils.com/cough-sore-throat-lozenges-r0191
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-your-own-sore-throat-lozenges-0159774/

© 2019, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat