Disclaimer. I am not a licensed health
practitioner. This is just another post on knowledge and understanding
you might wish to acquire in advance of a disaster in case no higher
care is available. As long as our society is functioning, you should
leave anything more substantial than applying a Band-Aid to the
professionals. No medication, including those available
over the counter, should be taken without consulting a physician.
Information shared here is for educational and entertainment purposes
only. It is not medical advice nor a substitute for licensed medical
care.
I hate to admit it, but it's true. I have some pet peeves.
One of them involves people who just agree with what the loudest voices are saying (or writing), without even blinking or thinking about it. Like most of our society.
Some of those voices in the prepper world shout that you have to have manuka honey for your medical needs.
So what, exactly, is manuka honey? Manuka honey is made by honey bees foraging on the manuka tree, also called the tea tree. Those with even a passing familiarity with essential oils know that tea tree oil is used a lot in treating skin issues. Manuka honey is what has been promoted as the gold standard in medicinal honeys. And it costs about as much as the yellow precious metal, at least when wound dressings are made with it or it is packaged as "medical grade."
So what do doctors who are teaching others how best to prepare for their own medical issues have to say about manuka honey?
In his book The Survival Medicine Handbook, Dr. Joseph Alton writes that any raw, unprocessed honey will do. In Armageddon Medicine Dr. Cynthia Koelker has at least a dozen references to using honey. She indicates that medical grade honey or standard clover honey may be used. (And when she burned herself at home, what did she use? A packet of honey from KFC--yeah, Kentucky Fried Chicken.) Sam Coffman, author of The Herbal Medic, suggests only that manuka may possibly be better. And Dr. Steve Pehrson said that any raw, unprocessed honey will work. So then I had to ask him about some of my honey, which is over forty years old and totally crystallized. And he said it was just fine. Dr. Stephen Buhner, author of Herbal Antibiotics, suggests that any raw wildflower honey should be just fine, but that it would be best to avoid grocery store clover and alfalfa honeys, as these are more likely to be contaminated with pesticides.
Yes, as a matter of fact, most (but not all!) clinical studies are conducted with manuka honey. When conducting these studies, scientists have to reduce the number of variables as much as possible. But remember, manuka honey comes only from New Zealand, and yet people have been using honey medicinally for thousands of years. They sure as heck weren't traveling all the way to New Zealand to get it. They used what they had, which was what was being produced locally. You can, too. Maybe it is slightly less strong. Like 99 is slightly less than 100. That's about the difference, if it's even that great. If you think it will make a difference, you could even add a drop or two of tea tree oil to your honey.
In short, don't be suckered by the manuka honey hype. Save yourself a wad of dough and use those funds for other medical preps.
Oh, and one more thing, in case you're wondering if there is any honey that is harmful. Actually, there is. Apparently, the honey from some Rhododendron species in Nepal may cause "mad honey poisoning," so when you're in Nepal, make sure your honey is not from rhododendrons.
Links to related posts:
Alternative Medicine--Honey
For further reading:
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/20/the-natural-way-to-speed-wound-healing.aspx
https://www.buzzaboutbees.net/manuka-honey-wound.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19559969
© 2019, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com
2 august 2021
I had a beehive when I was a kid. It was then that I first read that beekeepers didn't suffer from rheumatism. The explanation for this was the bee stings kept rheumatism at bay. I have no idea if this notion has been debunked since then.
ReplyDeleteI've always heard that honey is best when it comes from a local source because the local flora from which it is obtained is helpful in reducing allergies.
There's a documentary on Netflix called "Rotten." In one episode about honey, it said that most of the honey sold commercially on the world market has high fructose corn syrup added to produce more profit. The Italian Mafia and Russian Mafia are the chief culprits involved in this international scam.
As an aside, I've also read that most Italian olive oil has cheap olive oil added by the Italian Mafia. I think that Spanish olive oil is safe. So is California olive oil.
Interesting about the beekeeper/rheumatism observation. Maybe I can take a look at that later this summer. Too much going on right now. Yes, local honey is best for reducing allergy symptoms.
DeleteAnd yes, sadly, most commercial honey is adulterated.
As I recall reading, the adulterated olive oil isn't cut with cheap olive oil (which wouldn't bother me as much), but other things like soybean oil. So I don't use much olive oil for that reason.
This is super interesting--thanks!!
ReplyDelete--Melanie
Several years ago, I had some wound care issues that required a wound care specialist that would remove dead tissue from the wound (cat bit me on my right calf). I am also pre-diabetic and a sore began to form on the arch of my foot. I was using "Sargam" (I think i comes in tube squeeze form) on my other wounds but I thought it was overkill on the arch wound. I tried RAW UNPASTEURIZED HONEY and it did a great job closing the skin and stopping the wound from progressing. Using honey is certainly worth a try - I would recommend on using a brand new honey container and keep it in a sterile place of storage.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. Naughty kitty!
Delete