First off, I'd like to communicate that I'm not saying any of these books are bad, or poorly written, or authored by quacks. However, from a prepper or survivalist point of view, which most of this blog's readers are, to some extent, they are not the best use of our resources.
Phyllis Balch, author of Prescription for Herbal Healing, according to the back cover of this book, "...has been a leading nutritional consultant for more than two decades, and has spent more than twenty-five years researching natural approaches to health and healing...." Her book appears meticulously researched and includes coverage of Chinese and ayurvedic (traditional medicine from India) herbs and therapies to treat over 150 common disorders. However, with 544 8.5 x 11" pages, it's quite large and focuses heavily on herbs that are only going to be found in herb stores or online, neither of which are going to be an option when society collapses.
Backyard Medicine for All, by Julie Bruton-Seal and Matthew Seal, is a sequel to their first book, Hedgerow Medicine. Had I done a little more research, I would have clued into the fact that the authors live in the United Kingdom. Sounds a bit bigoted, right? Well, think about the climate and growing conditions. Are the plants that grow in Britain and Scotland going to be the same as those that grow in the deserts and mountains of the western US? That's a big "no, not really." This book may work very well for those living in New England or the Pacific Northwest areas of the US. Another strike against this book, were I looking at several side by side in a bookstore, is the layout. While I appreciate the color photographs, the organization is just too jumbled. Most pages have three columns of text, a photograph or two, and then text boxes as well. I think it contributes to sensory overload.
Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide is an excellent resource. Rosemary Gladstar, an herbal teacher and practitioner for 35+ years, very clearly introduces the medicinal uses of thirty-three common herbs. Unlike many herbal medicine writers, she explains terms that the others just throw around, provides detailed instructions for making her healing formulas, and offers helpful suggestions for growing these herbs in the garden. She includes photographs of the plants and the text is well-organized. It's an excellent resource for a beginner. I appreciate the author's work; however, I'm not sure I will keep this book. Being able to treat coughs, colds, fevers, and minor joint pain is nice, but it stops there. Other books cover much more serious medical issues and include information on treating these minor conditions as well, though perhaps lacking the introductory explanations.
In summary, when it comes to purchasing your own herbal medicine books, what factors should you keep in mind?
- Find books that use herbs that you will actually have access to. Chinese medicine and Ayurveda have their place, but a lot of the herbs they use grow in the Eastern hemisphere, not here.
- Along the same lines, the Peterson Field Guide to Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs or Linda Kershaw's Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Rockies aren't going to be of much benefit to folks living on the East Coast.
- Decide how far down the herbal medicine rabbit hole you are going to go. Do you want to learn the basics through free online searches and then spend the money for more comprehensive books that will cover diseases we're likely to encounter after TEOTWAWKI?
No comments:
Post a Comment