Friday, November 23, 2018

Basic Food Storage: Milk--Copycat Chick-Fil-A Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake

To go along with our Expanded Food Storage theme of the 1950's American diner with hamburgers and French fries, we absolutely must have a milkshake, right?

I came across this copycat recipe for the Chick-Fil-A Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake at StoreThisNotThat.com.  Now, I've only been to Chick-Fil-A once in my life, and it was in the summer, so I'm guessing this milkshake wasn't even on the menu then.  I don't have any basis for comparison. (Though in the interest of research, I might try to find the local Chick-Fil-A and order one.  Just for research purposes, mind you.)  But we're heading into Christmas, and now's the time to buy candy canes if this recipe's a winner.

As I look over the recipe, I'm more than a little skeptical.  There is no whipping cream.  There is no fat at all except what's in the chocolate chips.  How can it possibly be any good?  On the other hand, I've never tried anything from Store This Not That which wasn't good.

Store This Not That's Copycat Chick-Fil-A Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake (recipe #1)

2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup dry milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 candy canes (mine were about1/2 oz each)
2 1/2 cups ice cubes
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in the order listed in a blender on high.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Makes about three eight-ounce servings.

And, of course, in a grid-down scenario fresh milk might be a little difficult to come by (as might ice, but we'll cover that in a few months).  So I wanted to try two alternative recipes for comparison.  

I really wanted to write our observations in below the alternative recipes, but there's some stupid formatting problem that I can't seem to work around, so I'll include our notes here.  

I once again pressed my children (only three were available this time) into service as guinea pigs, and knowing that powdered milk was involved, they very reluctantly trudged into the kitchen.  I honestly could not tell a difference between the three recipes.  KOTPE favored Store This Not That's copycat, followed by recipe #3 below.  QOTPE and Ellie both favored recipe #3, followed by recipe #1.  We aren't actually huge peppermint fans here; everyone thought using a different candy, like Snickers or Milky Ways would be a huge improvement.

Alternative (recipe #2)

2/3 cup water
3/4 cup dry milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 candy canes
2 1/2 cups ice cubes
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Combine as above.

Alternative (recipe #3)

2/3 cup whipping cream (Trader Joe's carries shelf-stable whipping cream in eight-ounce cartons)
2/3 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 candy canes
2 1/2 cups ice cubes
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Combine as above.

Copyright 2018, PrepSchoolDaily.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips for Better Baking with Whole Wheat